Monday, November 03, 2008

Portrait of Tom

Tom portraitMy sister Steph has gone home. We always have a great time when she's here. This time we spent a lot of time celebrating Hallowe'en - decorating the house, carving pumpkins, organising costumes and face-painting for everyone, children and grown-ups. We made mock pumpkin soup and stuffed squash. We got together with our other sister, Lindsey and her husband Andrew and had a lot of fun. We also painted some of Tom's Warhammer miniatures - his latest hobby is fantasy wargaming.

But mainly we did art. Steph taught me to use soft chalk pastels. I'd never used them at all before she arrived. I did a number of drawings with the pastels under Steph's guidance, but I'm happiest with this one of Tom. In fact, I've framed it and hung it in the living room.

11 comments:

Sol said...

Gosh this is beautiful!

tina said...

What a super good portrait. I know chalk pastels are hard to work with and getting the right texture that you did is super.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful portrait...you are very talented!

Anonymous said...

She certainly is 'nancybond' but, there again, all three of my daughters are. They get it from their Dad. Their tempers, they get from their Mum (God bless and keep her.)

Robj98168 said...

The portrait is beautiful! OMG You are an artist!

Lesley said...

That's lovely!

Anonymous said...

The portrait is beautiful! That's lovely!

kathyann said...

Wow Mel,What a beautiful portrait of Tom, you are such a talented lady.
Love from Kathy and the girls

Unknown said...

Well done, Mel. I wish Dad had had time to do the kids before he died.

Anonymous said...

Re nancybond:
I resent that comment!
Or alternatively, thankyou!

Am I being stupid? What does 'nancybond' mean and should I be flattered?

Lindsey
(Mel's little sister)

Unknown said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful & I'm so jealous at your skill