Monday, March 31, 2008

Buddha of the Onions

Buddha of the onionsOn one of the allotment plots I found this Buddha head, nestling among a row of onions. The plot belongs to a white-haired cloth-capped Mancunian gent, who I would not have suspected of being a closet Buddhist. When I asked him about it he told me "it just turned up one day", and he rather liked it, so he set it among his onions.

I know little about Buddhism, but I thought that onions, garlic and other alliums such as chives and leeks were forbidden foods for Buddhists. But I've been searching the web and it seems that only some branches of Buddhism observe this rule.

I rather like the Buddha of the onions, and I hope he feels at home here. During my web research I came across the same story many times; how as a young boy watching his father plough a field, Buddha had fallen naturally into a state of blissful meditation. Perhaps he can meditate on we allotment holders digging our plots, too.

6 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

I have a meditation Buddha in the corner of my garden. I feel it is just "right" there in the shade of my Mountain Ash .. some golden grass and ferns keep it company.
I can't explain the serene quality it holds .. it just does.
Joy
PS .. that picture was perfect !

Allie said...

That's neat! What a great picture!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I love it!!! A visual koan!

Irish Sallygardens said...

Along the lines of stories and meditations, you might enjoy some of stories on this blog (its my Mother-In-Law!)
http://yogastories.wordpress.com/

babe said...

I am constantly searching for the ultimate statue for spots in my garden. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

that pipped my interest regarding dietry requirements so I asked at a local Buddhist retreat near my home. They say yes they are forbidden in some of the most fundamentalist schools of thought, as is meat. However traditional Buddhists will happily eat them as well as meat. The only regulation with meat for the monks in particular is that the animal must not have been slaughtered for them specifically. When I asked about the head, the monk who kindly took the time to explain said it's a perfect place for the Buddha as it's on the earth and celebrating the unity of growth, death and renewal. The only thing he said that would make some look twice is that it's lower than your eye level which many Buddhist would not consider appropriate, but as long as it being happiness and serenity they don't really mind. :)