Sunday, November 11, 2007

M is Musick

My choir, St George's Singers, gave a remarkable concert last night. It was an extremely challenging programme of 20th Century English music, and there were quite a few jitters among the choir. I think we would all have liked a couple more rehearsals at least. But under the leadership of our MD, Neil Taylor, (and with a lot of very hard work on the day) we overcame our insecurity and gave a thrilling concert. For one night choral singing became an extreme sport.

Without doubt the highlight for me was singing Benjamin Britten's cantata "Rejoice in the Lamb". Britten wrote some joyfully bonkers music to accompany the completely bonkers libretto by Christopher Smart. Challenging to sing, yes, but once you "get it", it's enormous fun.

For the flowers are great blessings.
For the flowers have their angels,
Even the words of God's creation.
...
For the flowers are peculiarly
The poetry of Christ.

Cartoon from Climate Cartoons.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Fab ... I love the bonkers-ness of C Smart, especially on his cat. And as for Britten - well, very very hard to beat ... what a great concert, lovely to have all that music in your head. What are you doing next??

Joanna

Melanie Rimmer said...

Next is our candlelit carol concert with brass band, mulled wine, and mince pies.
http://www.take2theweb.com/_user/1/S/N/F/R/carols2007.pdf
And after that, Rachmaninov Vespers, which I'm looking forward to tremendously.

Anonymous said...

My college choir sang that piece last year and it was so much fun- and I always have it stuck in my head! I love your blog, makes me really want to garden more after school.