Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Three-Day Virtual Quilt Show - Day 1

It's been over a year since Bean Sprouts last held a quilt show, so I think we're overdue for another. Mail me a photo if you'd like to submit your quilt or any patchwork or quilted items to the quilt show. I may award ribbons to the winners.

This is a quilt I made for Eleanor a couple of years ago. The design is based on a vintage quilt Eleanor had chosen from the book American Quilt Classics. The butterflies are cut from 1930's reproduction fabrics. I love the cheerful colours and designs of 1930's fabrics, and collect reproductions of them.

I machine appliqued the butterflies onto white squares set on point, and made a border of squares and half-square triangles with more of the same 1930's fabrics. There's a solid navy blue binding which doesn't show up very well in the photo. Neither does the free-motion machine quilting. Each butterfly is quilted with a different design, and the background is quilted with a daisy motif.

The quilt lives on Eleanor's bed, although I frequently find it elsewhere in the house where she has dragged it because she was cold, or sorry for herself, or wanted to make a tent.

2 comments:

Birdie said...

What a beautiful quilt.

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely patchwork. I haven't made one but want to and had the idea that if I left the started patchwork in the living room then when guests come and stay they can sew on a patch and initial and date it and it would be a record of friends and families visits. It's only an idea at the moment.
Sara from farmingfriends