Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Mystery Vegetable

Does anyone know what this is? I grew it on the allotment from a packet of seeds someone gave me. The packet had a picture on the front and the times for sowing etc, but the top was ripped off so I didn't have the name.

The plant was large and sprawling rather like a butternut squash or pumpkin. The "fruit" is about 9" in diameter. I don't even know if it's ripe or if it would get bigger if I left it on the plant. I cut two of them today, and there are several more still on the plant.

The flesh has a pleasant mild taste, somewhat like a marrow but sweeter.

Guesses on the back of a postcard.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like a very big globe courgette - is the rind hard like a winter squash or soft like a summer squash?

Anonymous said...

This is known as a "musk melon"--a popular food in the deep south.

Melanie Rimmer said...

It's not sweet enough to be a melon, but thanks for the suggestion Wenchypoo. I think Linz's suggestion of a very big yellow globe courgette is probably nearer. The rind is soft like a summer squash.

Anonymous said...

If it is a big courgette I am v jealous. I reckon if you put /all/ my courgettes this year together you'd get something roughly the size of that!

Unknown said...

Looks like an italian-style summer squash - probably something like a sunburst. Some pumpkins are yellow as they grow but it looks too regular.

Yellow said...

Would a photo of the plant's leaves help in it's identification? Do squash leaves differ greatly from variety to variety. Oh, and what brand is on the seed packet? You could Google their seed range to see if that helps. From your friend, Sherlock xxx