Saturday, September 29, 2007

Allotment News

Ed and I went to the allotment yesterday. He did lots of weeding, and I sowed some seeds (quick-growing salad stuff - if the frost holds off we'll get a late crop, if not we've only lost a few seeds). I picked some runner beans, chard, tomatoes and radishes. And I spotted these toadstools nestling among my squash. I don't know what they are, they might be fly agaric. Anyway I don't fancy eating them. I don't want to make any pixies homeless.

Oh, and I forgot my new gadget. Of course, I spent the whole time seeing things that needed pruning or cutting or corkscrewing, but I couldn't because I didn't have my gadget.

I also found nine perfect raspberries on one of my raspberry canes. That would be one of the autumn raspberries, then. I didn't put them in a punnet and bring them home. I just stood there on my allotment and ate them, one at a time.

2 comments:

Eigon said...

Hard to be sure from the picture, but they may well be fly agaric - are there any white spots on the red?
If so, I wouldn't eat them if I were you - not unless you want to go into a shamanic trance and be horribly sick. Apparantly the best way to get round this is to feed them to a reindeer first, and then drink the reindeer's pee....

Unknown said...

...after fermenting it first of course! They look like fly agaric to me. I shouldn't worry about the pixies, the thriftless little gits.