Monday, August 06, 2007

Trailgator

I spent yesterday afternoon fixing a Trail-gator to mine and Sam's bikes. It's a device that allows an adult to tow a child's bike, but the connection can easily and quickly be unhooked. For example the adult can tow the child's bike to school and then cycle home unhindered. Or the adult and child can set out on a ride together, but the adult can tow the child when he becomes tired.

I need to build up my own cycling skill before I'll feel confident doing this on proper trips, but getting it fixed up already gives me the impetus I need to actually get my a**e in gear and get cycling.

5 comments:

Nik said...

What a great idea! Off to google. DH's new job in a month is managing a bike shop - so I think we'll (well, me) all be getting some pedal power soon, can feel my sore butt already since it's been about 20 yrs!

Unknown said...

What happens to the trail-gator when it's not in use - if your child decides at furthest point from home that they want to cycle for a bit?

Melanie Rimmer said...

That's exactly what it's designed for, Hedgie. The trailgator is telescopic, so you unhitch it from the child's bike, and telescope it up, then it sort of clips out of the way.

Anonymous said...

I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these for my youngest for a few weeks now, I'd love to know how you get on with it.

Unknown said...

I like the look of that - how stable is it, and how hard to balance?