Friday, August 03, 2007

Switch Off Lights

I'm going to make a prediction - the results of this month's challenge poll will be:
  • I was already green! I never leave lights on in empty rooms! 100%
I'm always walking round the house and spotting lights left on in empty rooms. I blame the kids, but to be honest I do it, too. So this challenge is really just for me. I'm going to drum it into the kids' heads that they have to turn lights off. Maybe we'll all make posters to remind ourselves to do it. And I'll give them permission to chastise me if I leave any lights on.

So go on, prove whether I'm right or wrong? Am I the only one with this shameful secret? Vote in the poll today.

5 comments:

Artela said...

et if you have any flourescent tubes to weigh up the "left on" vs "startup needs" :-)

In addition, if using low energy bulbs, don't forget that for any area that you need light to very quickly they take forever to "warm up".

Anonymous said...

No, not forever. But time enough to gaze out the window and watch the clouds scud across the waxing/waning moon; to spot a fox crossing your land to the adjacent hedge; to see hedgehogs rooting for slugs and snails; to watch the trees at the top of the haggagrd 'flowing' in the wind; or just to contemplate, for a while, all the gifts of life and nature you are blest with? Maybe?

Anonymous said...

Bill of Ballaugh said...
No, not forever. But time enough to gaze out the window and watch the clouds scud across the waxing/waning moon; to spot a fox crossing your land to the adjacent hedge; to see hedgehogs rooting for slugs and snails; to watch the trees at the top of the haggagrd 'flowing' in the wind; or just to contemplate, for a while, all the gifts of life and nature you are blest with? Maybe?

10:48 AM

How very poetical. I take it your not within one mile of a city center.
I'll worry about mine a, when I can't afford the bill b, when I see that all levels of government are not wasting energy c, when I can stand on a hill in South Shropshire and not make out Kidderminster to Coventry by the fringe of orange light in the sky one way and Shrewsbury to Telford the other way

Anonymous said...

make that you're not your.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Billy, but I think that attitude of 'I will when others do' is awful. I believe in taking responsibility for my own actions. I wouldn't waste energy just because my neighbours, or employers, or government do.