Friday, August 24, 2007

Sloe Gin

At the bottom of the freezer we found a bag of sloes and a bag of blackberries we picked last year. So we defrosted them and popped them in clean bottles, until the bottles were about 1/3 full. Then we covered them in sugar until the bottles were 2/3 full. Then we labelled them.

I've put them by the kettle so every time anyone makes a pot of tea they can give the bottles a shake over the next few weeks. The flavours from the berries will infuse into the sugar and result in a thick syrup which can be blended with cheap gin or vodka (the berries can be discarded - or made into fruitcake). After a few months the liqueur will be ready, but it will be even smoother if you can wait another year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last time I was over, Steph showed me a couple of bottles of this. One she called 'Quick Sloe Gine' and the other 'Slow Sloe Gin'. She kindly gave me a glass of the latter. It was very smooth, very fruity and VERY DECEPTIVE. I want a bottle of this when next I visit or else I'll sulk, big time.
I must say I really enjoyed your visit here to Ballaugh. The joy of my grandchildrens laughter, as they played in the yard and around the house, will keep me warm throughout the winter. Come back soon.

Melanie Rimmer said...

It won't be long before this year's sloes are ripe and I'll be making more sloe gin, both the "quick" and "slow" varieties. Since I've found a good source of dirt cheap spirits I fancy experimenting with other flavours as well, such as damson gin, blackberry vodka etc.

Anonymous said...

wow, what a great idea!! I have never heard of this so it's new stuff for me :)