Friday, May 11, 2007

Spring Haiku

I've been reading Japanese Haikus recently. I knew that they were a traditional form of Japanese poetry, 17 syllables long, but I didn't know the length was chosen to be the duration of a single breath. I didn't know they were traditionally about the four seasons and the turning of the year. And I didn't know that a traditional Zen story tells of a young student who asked his master whether it is true that Zen masters are able to perform miracles. The teacher assured him it was true. What kinds of miracles? Fetching water and carrying firewood. "Those who practice this are all miracle buddhas."

I like that.
I liked this haiku, too.



Sitting silently,
Doing nothing,
Spring comes,
And the grass grows by itself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your article. I have got the children in my class to write Haikus in the past and they enjoy doing it. Thanks for sharing the information about the haiku.
Sara from farmingfriends in Yorkshire

Moonwaves said...

My introduction to the haiku came last September when I joined Our Lady's Choral Society as our first concert for last term included a performance of Karl Jenkins' Requiem, which is the traditional Latin interspersed with haikus. Nice to get a bit of background on them, finding out more about them is another one of those things that was a half-formed thought in the back of my head.

Joanna said...

I really love that haiku ... so many layers of meaning in so few words

Thanks for sharing
Joanna
joannasfood.blogspot.com