Friday, February 23, 2007

Smallholding Dreams

I think my favourite Christmas present of 2006 was this painting by my sister, Stephanie. It's a stylised representation of the smallholding I dream of. The layout is based on the traditional quilting block known as log cabin.

The figure at the door in the centre is me. Ed is reaping corn in the distance. Eleanor is watering flowers in front of the house whilst Sam feeds the chickens nearby. Tom is sitting in the very foreground playing a hand-held computer game. The fingerpost points to our favourite places (Aberystwyth, Ballaugh, Cropredy) and there are many more details if you look closely.

Ed made the frame for me and now it hangs in the kitchen where I spend most of my time when I'm home, so I can look at it and dream of the future.

Steph has recently started her own blog about her art. She admires Giacometti and Lowry, but I'm very proud to have an original Stephanie Smith hanging in my home.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that is brilliant - I am off to look.

BTW - I adore reading your blog - so you won't miss out on my visits - I will just have to get up earlier to read your sisters too now.

Lesley said...

Good morning Mel. I too shall be visiting your sister's blog. If it is as lively, stimulating and colourful as yours, it will be an extra treat each day.

By the way (and totally un-related) i came across that stuffed cabbage recipe I told you about a few weeks ago. It is on page 392 of Gary Rhodes'"The Complete Cookery Year" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Cookery-Year-Gary-Rhodes/dp/0563488670 which I see is now available for a third of the price we paid for it. It is a great book as it encourages the cook to use fresh, 'in season' ingredients. When I told you about the recipe I couldn't remember how to re-make the cabbage, but it is clearly explained and quite easy (looking)

Melanie Rimmer said...

Thanks everyone. I'm sure Steph will appreciate the support.

Unknown said...

Mel, isn't that just the best present ever? I reckon I'd glow in the dark for a month if someone gave me something like that.

Lesley, thanks for the pointer - I'll have to get a look at that. Does he use British-grown ingredients? I picked up a copy of "winter recipes" (I use the quotes advisedly) in WHS a while ago and the very first recipe I looked at had mange-tout peas in it.

RUTH said...

I bet you're proud. How wonderful

Anonymous said...

God wot, but I'm proud of my daughters! My third is a musician with no mean talent for singing, flauting (am I allowed that word?) keyboard, violin & cello, guitar, etc. etc.

Frankie said...

My Grandfather's brother was friends with Lowry!

Lesley said...

Message for Hedgewizard
According to the Introduction, Gary Rhodes' purpose in writing his 'The Complete Cookery Year' is: "To restore home-grown produce to the centre of attention".... however, there IS a mention of 'mange-tout' in there somewhere...and he does refer to 'quinces from Greece' (??)
It divides the year into months, and each month by veg, fish & meat. I've found a few new slants I hadn't thought of before .
I think I've also seen it in my public library. If it is not in yours, you could ask them to borrow or buy it? The recipes are very clear and the pics really good

Anonymous said...

That is a lovely picture of your dream. And dreams can come true. I drew a picture very similar to your's in content, if not in style, when I was ten years old. There was a little cottage in the country, forest, a cat and other animals, and me standing in front of the house in a long dress (I was a romantic, and the costumes have featured in life). I said then, that is me when I grow up. That dream was fulfilled a few years back, even if it took a few to get there. You can make it happen too.