Saturday, February 17, 2007

New Potatoes

Our organic veg box delivery each week is very exciting, but at this time of the year some repetition is inevitable. Spuds - check. Swede - check. Savoy cabbage - check. Leeks - check. etc.

This week I was thrilled to find new potatoes in the box! New potatoes! My mind went into overdrive thinking of all the different ways I could prepare them. Steamed and served with sea salt, butter and parsley, or in a salad with home-made mayonnaise and spring onions, or cut into circles and sauteed in olive oil then tossed in sesame seeds and seasoned before serving...

Of course I could have bought new potatoes any time I wanted during the last six months. They've been available in all the supermarkets and at the greengrocer in the village. I could have had strawberries for that matter, or asparagus, or pineapples, or breadfruit. But those things haven't been available locally during the winter (of course some of them never are) and so they haven't been in my veg box. It's more fun this way. Cooking creatively to keep the same winter vegetables each week exciting. The thrill when a new variety comes into season. Sure, I could have bought new potatoes from the supermarket. I could also eat nothing but chocolate for breakfast lunch and dinner. It's more enjoyable when it's kept for a treat, though.

If I've convinced you that organic veg boxes are a great way to put the fun back into fruit and vegetables, as well as helping to save the planet and support local producers, why not click on the picture to find your own local veg box scheme?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mel, great post and I'm working up to a veg box soon. But I can't believe you got MORE CABBAGE!!

Jim and Barbara said...

We were thinking of having a veg box delivery but we live not to far from Borough Market, the veg is really top quality but it really pains us to ever have to buy it.Must be quite exciting to see what you have been sent though.

Anonymous said...

I don't get veg delivered, but i do use a locally sourced shop, but it's a short drive away. Today we're having guinea fowl, pot poulee,and i forgot some of the veg. So Tony traipsed off to the local grocers, and came home with a cauliflower & a swede, off the shopkeepers allotment. I was proud of him. He sill drinks Nestcafe Alta Rica for breakfast, and blows his nose on toilet roll, but he's getting there. I may make some Roker sea salt next week (a'la River Cottage Family Cookbook)

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean my box has had alot of chard recently family`s starting to get fed up with it!! I need to find some more intresting recipies for it....