Sunday, February 04, 2007

Chitting Potatoes

I bought some Desiree, Pink Fir Apple, Kestrel and Red Duke of York seed potatoes. They're currently chitting (that means being exposed to the light so they start to sprout) in some apple trays I scavenged from the greengrocer. I'll plant them in the spring.

I'm also chitting some random potatoes of mixed and unknown varieties which I excavated from the bottom of the spud bag because they were starting to sprout already. They might as well go in the ground, but there's no knowing what they'll do. That's all part of the fun.

By the way, my choir, St George's Singers, are singing the Daily Service live on Radio 4 on Monday. If you tune in to Radio 4 (198 LW) at 9:45 am you'll hear me (and a few dozen other people) singing two hymns and a spiritual. Don't worry if you miss it because you can listen again on the Radio 4 website afterwards. I'll post the link once it's up.

Update: You can listen at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?radio4/mondailyservice

Updated Update: The previous link no longer points to the St George's Singers' daily service, but whoever sang the service last Monday. However we have been invited back sometime so you'll have a chance hear us again. Watch this space.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How long do you chit spuds for? Does it matter if they start to dry out and go wrinkley?

Melanie Rimmer said...

You chit them for a few weeks or even months. They ought to be fine, I'm told. But to be honest, I've never done it before so I'm learning as I go along.