Thursday, February 15, 2007

Beekeeping Books

The meeting of the local beekeepers association last night was very interesting. It's an active group with lots going on - regular talks, shows, competitions, courses etc. They're a friendly bunch. I was immediately taken under the wing of the first member I met, who signed me in as his guest, answered all my stupid questions and introduced me to other people. The next meeting is in March and I'm looking forward to it already.

These two books are recommended pre-course reading for the beekeeping course I'm going on in May. I ordered them and they arrived today, so I'll be getting stuck in.

I've also been reading "Honey Bee's Hive", one of the children's series "Minibeast Worlds". The whole series is very good, full of accurate information presented in an interesting way and with amazing close-up photography.



I thought this book was fantastic because it was about bees and I liked the queen bee. She's the one who lays all the eggs. The beekeeper paints a dot on her. I liked all the pictures and I liked the waggle dance. There's a picture of a lady in beekeeping clothes and she looks like mum.

(Sam, aged 5)

2 comments:

RUTH said...

Hi and thanks for your visit. I'll link Beansprouts to Me, My Life, My Garden and also put your tip in Ruth's Shoots as a post (in case visitors miss you comment) with a link back to you. The meeting sounds interesting and what a great idea to go on a course!

Matron said...

It's great to see another gardener who has an interest in beekeeping. We always used to keep bees on the allotment while I was growing up. It is one of my keen desires that when I ever move out of London to my ideal country house, the first thing I will do is keep bees again. Good luck with your endeavours, Keep in touch. xx