Monday, January 15, 2007

Spring Is Getting Nearer

It's only January but it feels like spring is aproaching. Yesterday the sun was shining and I could feel it warming my back when I was outdoors. And the broom is blooming in next door's garden. It looks very jolly and yellow through the bare hedge.

On Saturday my sisters, Lindsey and Stephanie, joined me to sing Carmina Burana in a day with my choir, St. George's Singers. Part of the text is:
Rerum tanta novitas
In solemni veri
et veris auctoritas
iubet nos gaudere.

Glorious spring renews
all nature’s might
and spring our heart imbues
with joyous light.

It would have been a great weekend to spend some time on the allotment, but Saturday was out because of the singing day. Sunday was also impossible because it was my daughter Eleanor's 7th birthday party. Her friends arrived dressed in pyjamas and dressing gowns and slippers. They baked cakes, told spooky stories, played party games and ate pizza and ice-cream whilst watching a Disney movie.

I had a lovely time both days, doing fun things with people I love. But it doesn't get the couch grass out of the allotment. I'm going to have to step up a gear this week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your weekend sounds brilliant and how special it is to spend it doing things and with those you love.

Your daughter will remember such birthdays all her life and will do the same for her offspring I am sure.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Eleanor!

It does feel like spring, doesn't it. We have bulbs coming up, and the fruit trees are starting to bud. We seem to have missed winter entirely, global warming??

Shirl said...

Yes, these last couple of days have had me thinking about what I'm going to grow this year too.....:~)

Love your blog by the way.

Unknown said...

Don't count your chickens, folks. Cold weather on the way at the weekend, oh yes...

Lesley said...

Hi Mel, I've just caught up with your post on the approach of Spring. I thought the same and put it on my blog:
http://gowen.org
and I also share hedgewizzard's concerns that we shouldn't be complacent.
Very interesting site.