Friday, November 24, 2006

Barnyard Movie

You don't want to go and see a science fiction movie with me. Or a technological thriller. I'm the kind of person who ruins movies like that by complaining that the science is wrong. You couldn't really destroy an alien civilisation with a virus written on an Apple Mac, the whole northern hemisphere couldn't freeze up by the day after tomorrow, an overdose of gamma rays wouldn't turn a mild-mannered scientist into the hulk, it would simply kill him.


But now I've discovered a whole other class of movies I can't bear to watch - those which feature gardening and agriculture. I can believe the impossible (talking animals don't bother me, for example) but not the improbable or the downright ignorant and so I shall not be joining the family to watch Barnyard:



"Barnyard" is a lighthearted tale centering around Otis, a carefree party cow, who enjoys singing, dancing and playing tricks on humans.


If Otis is a "he", he's a bull not a cow and he certainly doesn't have udders. I'm not trying to ruin your movie Mr Oedekerk, just draw him as a bull or bullock and leave out the udders.



Anyway, Gary Larson's take on the same idea was funnier.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This reminds me of an advert I saw on tv a little while ago. I can't remember what it was for, but it was cartoon cows in a classroom. The teacher was clearly a bull - he had a jacket on and a deep voice - and also sported the biggest set of udders I've seen in a long time. I realise they couldn't have shown him anatomically correct, but udders?

Unknown said...

Consumers don't know that only girl cows have udders or give milk, and the advertisers don't want to educate them. It might lead to inconvenient questions like "What happens to all the boy cows, then?"

Unknown said...

Wait a minute. Blake's 7, and you have a problem suspending disbelief???

Anonymous said...

what dies happen to all the boy cows, then? Actually, the Riverside Cottage Family Cookbook has some great info on that, and about dairy cows & their calves.

Melanie Rimmer said...

I have no problem suspending anything when Paul Darrow is onscreen, udders or no udders.

Amos Slade said...

Ok, first I’d like to say that I’m not a pervert, and so therefore did not pay much mind to the fact that the male cows all had four profound udders until I started reading these overbearing and single-sided reviews which, might I add, seem intent on exploiting this unintentional fact to a perverse and questionable point. I did not consider it to be a negative aspect of the movie. However, I did think that even for a kid’s movie there were some scenes that were almost too violent (i.e. the coyote attack on Ben the cow), others that were almost too foolish to the point of being awkward (i.e. Wild Mike), and others yet that may have been too mature or inappropriate for kids (i.e. references to drinking and police evasion). That aside, I felt that the movie was a lot of fun for all ages. I found great humor in the outside references, like the dartboard with Col. Sanders’ face and the black market-dealing gophers. My kids got some great laughs from other aspects of the movie as well. And the message the movie brought was genuine, even though it could have been further exploited.